Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Egg Rolls or Rolls Royce

<KENOX S860  / Samsung S860>Going to Dehri bazaar for shopping does not come to a satisfactory end without having “Egg Roll or Chicken Roll” at the popular ‘Raju Hotel’! But the other day as I went there along with my colleague Bro Selva; we were little earlier for the Egg Roll section to open. As we sat there, my eyes were fixed on the nearby snack shop on wheels – the Thela Gadi.

Raju Hotel, Dehri

Whenever I go to the Egg Roll shop I see this Thela Gadi parked at its side and the shopkeeper would be selling home made snacks; and every time I wonder at whether people come there to buy. But that day I saw people – children, men on bikes, old man, all coming and buying snacks at his shop, one after the other.

Thela Gadi_Dehri 1Thela Gadi_Dehri 2 

Raju’s younger brother arrived just then with the shop items in a Thela Gadi and started setting up the shop. He greeted us with his usual “Vanakkam Anna” (Greetings Elder Brother) and placed the gas cylinder on the floor near the table, put the big pan on the stove, cleaned it and then started making Egg Rolls for us.

Raju Hotel_RajuRaju, the Elder brother

In the meantime the eldest brother Raju came and sat near us and was telling about his plans to take his wife and kids for a vacation down South. “We work throughout the year, night and day, but I want to take my family for vacation at least for two weeks. And it is nice to go on a vacation with the family than going alone”.

All that while I was admiring the skilful, clean and committed work of Raju’s brother. We two were the very first customers for the Rolls that evening and he was making it very specially for us.

Making Egg Roll_Raju Hotel_1Making Egg Roll_Raju Hotel_2Making Egg Roll_Raju Hotel_3Making Egg Roll_Raju Hotel_4

After we ate, as I paid the money, Raju gave back the remaining two rupees and did not allow us to go until he ordered tea for us to drink.

Yummy Egg RollsA Bite

As we were drinking tea, Raju’s brother asked me, “Anna, Roll kaisa tha?” (Brother, how was the Roll?) and as I replied, “It is very nice”, he went on “I made specially for you both”.

As we were having the Roll I noticed these letters in the T-shirt that Raju’s brother wore that evening for work which read ,

Get Up

Survive

Go to Bed

Call this ironical or coincidence; I learnt many lessons that day from the Rajus (and they keep surprising and inspiring me every time). Sincerity, Friendliness, Love, Customer care, Timely delivery and much more could be said of the Rajus and their work. And they don’t seem like working to just “survive”!

The Roll MakerWith the Rajus

The other day I suggested Raju that if he would remodel his shop so as to cater to families more people could become his customers. “Anna, I am planning to taking up another shop in the Pali road which would be a complete restaurant with good ambience. Even then I will not leave this shop for two reasons – this is my first shop and I have a regular flow of young boys and men who frequent my shops who I don’t want to miss”.

This evening we went to Dehri and as usual went to Raju’s shop and had Egg Roll and I also took some pictures of the Rajus and their skilful work. After we finished the Rolls, Raju had ordered Thumps Up for us! He told us that the cost of the Rolls have increased owing to the price rise, but still he charged us only on the older price saying, “I will charge you anna on the newer price from next time onward”.

Work is the best antidote to sorrow, my dear Watson” says Sherlock Holmes to his friend in ‘The Adventure of the Empty House’ and continues “will in itself justify a man’s life on this planet.”

I am in a dilemma whether to agree upon Holmes’ philosophy of work or on that which was on the T-Shirt? Though why people work may have many reasons (may be I should deliberate on this in another post), I would like to pen some inspirations on “how to work” or rather ask questions -

  • How meticulous am I at my work? Do I care for the details or just rush through so as to clear my table or complete the task?
  • Is pleasing people and God, the priority of my work or pleasing me? Ultimately it is for people that we deliver our work, isn't it?
  • Do I review my work? To judge its quality, desirability, completeness, goodness, worthiness.
  • Am I open to criticisms and suggestions? And am I willing to improve and open to change?
  • Do I plan my work with people (the beneficiaries / customers) in mind or me (my comfort / my feasibility) in my mind?
  • Do I work to reach more people at the cost of losing some or do I work to reach the few and care for everyone?

Even as you think in these lines try adding much more and if you would like to share it, mention in the comment below, so that we can learn from each other.

Whatever we might make – Egg Rolls or Rolls Royce, let’s be sincere! (And if you happen to visit Dehri-On-Sone, do eat at the Rajus)

“the quality of each person’s work will be revealed in time as it is tested by fire.” (1 Corinthians 3:13 VOICE)

“And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men” (Colossians 3:23 NKJV)


No comments:

Post a Comment