Pages

Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Amusing Child at the Airport

Child hiding faceHe is such an entertainment” were the only words that came out of my mind as I sat looking at this little boy who was self-amused and served as an amusement to the onlookers and the passengers at the Varanasi Airport.

Fair cute little boy was he, may be three years of age, who was with his mother. He would roll on the smooth shining floor in the lounge; run around and go into the open ‘Annapurna’ shop, to receive a welcoming gesture from the shopkeeper. He would not stop at that. He takes the products arranged in the shelves and his mother comes running behind chiding him for “stealing” from the shop!

He goes behind the woman that mops the floor and tries to hold the stick that is held in her hand, only to be stopped by her who dreads that he would “dirty” himself.

When anyone walking through the lounge would stretch out his or her hand towards him, he would go and hold onto their finger, willing to be led by that stranger!

Fearing that he would hurt himself or bump against someone or something, every now and then his mother comes after him, picks him and takes him to her place. When he resists, she puts him inside the luggage trolley, from which he finds no way of escape. There he goes – he tries all means to appease his mother so that he could be put down on the floor.

Loving mother she is, who after lecturing him puts him down, only to find her boy getting back to the same old amusements. There is a sudden turn of events.

After a little while of being amused the little boy lifts up his head only to find his mother missing. He cranes his neck to the left and to the right, but he couldn’t find her. His eyes widen with anxiety and fear. He gets up from the floor and with the words “mummy… mummy” he runs to the sofa, crying and there she peeps out from behind the luggage-loaded trolley! His cry turns to a laughter the very moment.

Ah! If only I could have recorded it!

How much we all resemble that child in our relationship with God! We try to run away from Him; to be amused with other things; willing to be led by strangers; going behind everything that seems to give us pleasure. And we “think” that’s the best way to enjoy and to “feel” the freedom.

It would be terrible if God hides from us; if we are to be forgotten by Him. At times like that do we cry like David?

“How long, O Lord? Will You forget me forever?
How long will You hide Your face from me?” (Psalms 13:1)

Let the realization of David come to us -

“Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence?
If I ascend into heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.
If I take the wings of the morning,
And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there Your hand shall lead me,
And Your right hand shall hold me.” (Psalm 139:7-10)

And let us pray like David to become close with God once again,

“Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my anxieties; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” (Psalm 139:23, 24)

Taking my sin, my cross, my shame
Rising up again, I bless Your name
You are my all in all

When I fall down You pick me up
When I am dry You fill my cup
You are my all in all

Jesus, Lamb of God
Worthy is Your name
Jesus, Lamb of God
Worthy is Your name

You are my strength when I am weak
You are the treasure that I seek
You are my all in all


You will like reading this story from the life of a little girl – Yearning like Miraclin?


1 comment:

  1. Let me not hide from Thee, oh my Lord God.

    ReplyDelete